Observational Astronomy (Undergraduate Course)
This course will provide a panoramic view of the landscape of modern astronomical observation, including some of the frontier fields of observational astrophysics. We will focus on the optical/infrared observations and cover the basics of the multi-wavelength and multi-messenger sides of the subject. This course will give a basic grasp of fundamental concepts and methods of observational astronomy.
I will teach this course in the coming semester of 2023 Fall. I will update the syllabus and the lectures files here later. Please stay tuned.
I have spent some time with Taotie (饕餮) - A curated collection of resources for astrophysical research. There is also a Gitlab mirror if you have difficulty accessing Github. The idea is to provide a community “bookmark” for students who want to get started with astronomy.
- HELP WANTED: If you are interested in contributing to this project, please feel free to contact me. I am looking for people who can help me to maintain the project and add more resources!
- Here is the video recording of the long-version of my self-introduction at the Department of Astronomy’s Summer School in 2022 at Tsinghua
- The intended audience is undergraduate students who are interested in pursuing a career in astronomy.
- Making a Case for Open Science: What, Why, & How? (2020-04-13)
- A guest lecture on Zhi-Yu Zhang’s astro-seminar course at NJU.
- Ultra-Diffuse Galaxies: Are They Ultra-Special? (2022-03-04)
- A guest lecture on the graduate students’ seminar course at Tsinghua.
- Our Universe Through the Eye of Subaru’s Hyper Suprime-Cam (2022-03-02)
- My GTC lecture at NAOC.
- Data Reduction and Analysis of Modern Imaging Surveys (2022-04-29)
- A guest lecture on modern imaging surveys and their data reduction on the graduate-level course “Advanced Observational Astronomy” at Tsinghua.
- From AstroLeaks to Taotie: My Personal Experiments to Improve Our Astro-Community from Bottom-Up (2022-05-27)
- A guest lecture at the NAOC’s YIPA seminar.
- Galaxy & AGN-Host Image Decomposition (星系与活动星系核图像的成分分解) (2022-07-26)
- A lecture on the principle and application of image decomposition on the 2022 CSST Summer School at PKU.
- Here is the link to the slides for the 2023 Summer School. The content is basically the same.
- Galaxy Clusters: A Modern Perspective (2022-11-01)
- An introduction of galaxy cluster on an undergraduate course at Tsinghua.